Saturday, September 13, 2008

Redneck Is as Redneck Does...

Okay, so I was kinda "bribed" into doing this blog entry---you know who you are, HAHA :) Anyhow, here's a little background info. Last weekend I was on the phone to Sara and I told her how her Dad had set up a table in the backyard, put his crossbow on it and was sighting it in. As I was telling her this story and I was spying on him from the side of the house (with the camera) we were laughing so hard I thought I would wet myself. We both just thought it was too funny how "redneck" he has become and it was just one of those "you had to be there" moments. Anyhow, as I watched him shoot his crossbow, I thought to myself that it kinda looked like fun and so the next day I decided to ask him to teach me how to shoot it. The thing was seriously heavy and kinda hard to steady as you are standing, but after some practice shots I decided to stand, see if I could steady it and take aim. To my surprise (and Cleos' I'm sure!) I hit the target!! It was such a rush and I did it again and again. Each time, I hit the target even if not always in the center and I could see that Cleo was kinda proud that his wife was actually shooting a crossbow. I don't foresee myself ever actually hunting or killing any living thing but it was sure a lot of fun. Cleo was sighting in the crossbow at 10, 20 and 30 yards in the backyard.
Cleo has given my the nickname of "Annie Oakley"

This was my first shot!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty impressive, huh??
Cleo also taught me, a couple weeks ago, to shoot a gun. It was only a pellet gun but after I got the hang of holding the pistol and steadying it, I was able to hit that target as well. Guns have always been one of my 2 biggest fears and as I said in one of my previous blogs, I want to tackle those fears. Now, if any of you have any ideas on how to conquer the fear of snakes, please pass that info along to me.
So this is how the "Georgia Rednecks" kill time on the weekends. It may not be a glamorous life, but it's our life and we sure have a lot of fun living it!!! And to answer your question Sara, Dads' next journey won't be sheep hearding, but he has mentioned a couple goats!!!!!


2 comments:

Zach and Sara said...

Ha ha ha, I am dying with laughter right now. I hope you didn't mention to dad that we were spying on him and "mocking" him behind his back. I guess, it's too late now...I'm sure he is fully read up! What would we do without his guidence? He's the best. I'm so proud of your shot. I'm not surprised, you're a natural at everything you do. When I saw these pictures last week I told Zach we should get a cross bow because they look pretty fun and that way when he's playing basketball late I'll be safe incase an intruder comes. He seems to think that thing won't fit under the materess comfortabley so he nixed the idea! So goats you say? Well, at the very least maybe next time I come visit we can have goat cheese pizza rolls. Yummy!

Rasmussens said...

You look awesome holding that. THat would be so fun to try out. Way to go.