Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm such a bad person!!!!

Okay so this is kinda a funny story that I just had to share and get opinions on. Ever since we moved to the southeast 13 years ago, we've always had a "bug man" who comes every 6-8 weeks to spray the inside and outside for bugs. Now, for those of you who've never been to this area, I'm telling you that there are some pretty ominous looking critters that crawl around and I just don't want them in my house. I have ALWAYS had the BEST "bug man" and they really just love their jobs...I mean come on, you'd have to love your job to crawl around and kill bugs for a living. So anyway, my bug guy hasn't been here since the end of January and I was getting a little concerned since the weather is getting warmer and things are starting to crawl around again. I got an email saying that he would be here last Wed (8 days ago) and he never showed up. So I waited until this Monday and I called and left him a nice voicemail saying that I really needed him to come out ASAP. No response, so on Tuesday I called the office and left another voicemail, not quite as polite this time but still friendly...and still nothing. So this morning I emailed them and said that I was more than happy to find another company that would come out and within 30 minutes of sending that email someone finally called me. Now, here's the clincher, my "bug man" died yesterday morning!!! Apparently he had been in the hospital in ICU for a week and then died yesterday so the company was scrambling to find people to cover his route. I feel like such a nasty person, but seriously don't you think they could've at least sent out a group email to all his customers letting them know the circumstances and that they were doing their best to cover his route??? Long story (not so short!) they sent someone out right away and he was the nicest man and he did our bug service. He said they would do their best to find a replacement as soon as possible and there shouldn't be any further interruption in our future service.

Now my question to y'all is: Am I a bad person or could I have handled it better??? What would you have done???

5 comments:

Meg said...

Well you know me....you are for sure NOT a bad person and I think you handled it just fine!! I can't believe he died....

Zach and Sara said...

Yeah I'm with Meg. You probably still handled it nicer that I would have. That's way sad that he died but you had no way of knowing. Like you said they could have at least sent an email or better yet..soemone could have returned your call. I imagine they at least have a receptionist with nothing better to do! :)
Can't wait to see you guys...2 weeks from today!

Home At Last said...

I have a special relationship with my "bug man" Jerry! He has become a friend!

Your blog is looking so pretty!

Cisneros Family said...

Funny, yet sad! Funny- because I would have re-acted the same way, and you are definately not a bad person. Sad- because he died..... kind of a crazy story!!!

grams said...

I'M WITH THE GIRLS, WHO KNEW? THEY COULD HAVE LEFT YOU A VOICE MAIL AT LEAST. I WAS GOING TO SAY MORE BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHO WILL BE READING THESE BLOGS. IT IS STILL GREAT TO READ ABOUT YOUR COMMINGS AND GOINGS. LOVE YA